Friday, August 3, 2012

Starting on the Inside

It is a lovely morning here.  We had a much needed rainstorm yesterday and the air is warm and moist, hinting at the heat of the day to come.  The mint plants push their unassuming blooms toward the sky.  A spider's gossamer spiral web shimmered in the early morning sunlight.  Grass and weeds wake from their brown dormancy and push geen shoots toward the sky.  Even the great oak tree seems more supple and alive.

As I begin to take care of Weehavyn, I realize I have neglected my own body in the past few years and this neglect is starting to show.  Poor eating habits and stress have added 30 pounds to my frame and my joints feel the extra burden.  I injured my hip over a year ago and it still hasn't healed properly.  My energy level is low and I just don't feel "myself".  A less stubborn person would accept this as the inevitable results of aging.  I refuse to do so.  Silver hairs aside, I will feel my best.

I read about the studies on Calorie Restricion five or six years ago.  While the concept of it makes a great deal of sense to me, I believe the daily practice of it is beyond me.  Then I stumbled upon the concept of intermittant fasting.  While there is some dissention among physicians (who make their money only when you are ill), it has long been known that for a healthy person, fasting "reboots" the system by forcing the body to use resources with optimal efficiency.  After much research I've decided to try a 7 day fast followed by 2 day a week 24 hour fasts.  To take advantage of longer term fasting benefits, I am planning on a 7 day fast to end on each of the Solstices and Equinoxes.

Today is my first day of my 7 day fast which I am planning to document daily in this blog.  I ate two eggs with salsa for breakfast since I have to work today.  I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow and am hoping this will allow me to get through the worst days before I have to come back  to work.  I stepped on the scales and am at 150.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?