Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting Rid of Gadgets

Good Toast!  But watch carefully...
One of the consequences of living in a tiny home is that you have to make choices.  There is only so much space and each thing that comes into our home must have a place and a purpose.  I like my home to be neat and uncluttered, so it is important for this choosing to happen even before items are brought in.

The current kitchen in WeeHavyn is perhaps the least well-planned room in the house.  It is truly a bachelor's kitchen, with just enough counterspace to put a few cannisters and none to work it.  There are only four small cupboards and the undersink space for storage, yet I love to cook!  We have plans to improve this much used room, but for now I had to make some hard choices.

I have chosen to forgo most of the usual modern appliances to keep a little counter space free for cooking.  I have one blender, a coffee maker, and an air popper.  That's it.  No toaster, food processor, or electric mixer.  Instead I've chosen to do things "the old fashioned way" with a heavy cast iron pan, a sharp knife, and a wooden spoon.  These items not only perform the tasks of the appliances I have forgone, but take up less space and multi-task as well. 

Wait!  Isn't multi-tasking the Holy Grail of the modern world?  Perhaps I'm just ahead of my time......

3 comments:

  1. The one thing I dislike about my kitchen is our glass top stove. I can't use cast iron pans. It makes me so sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom had a glass top stove too. She had to buy a portable propane burner so she could use the pressure canner. I know they're supposed to be easier to clean, but I'm not so sure about that either. My favorite stove was a vintage propane/wood stove. I'm hoping I'll be able to squeeze something like that in here too.

      Delete
  2. I just thought it may be an idea to post incase anyone else was having problems researching but I am a little unsure if I am allowed to put names and addresses on here. kitchen gadgets

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?