Monday, November 5, 2012

Late Bloomer

I planted Morning Glories this spring.  Now before the groans and rolled eyes start, I'm perfectly aware Morning Glories have strong weed tendencies.  But I think I've mentioned before that I am quite fond of weeds.  I believe a plant with such tenacious determination as to be called a weed is something to be admired and worked with.

I actually planted two kinds of the flower, a magenta variety and one with very large blue flowers.  All summer I admired my pretty pink blooms, but nary a blue one was seen.  This summer was brutally hot, so I was gratefull for any flower I could get.  Still, I thought it would have been nice to have some of the blue flowers.

When it finally cooled off in late August, I started to notice that the Morning Glories on one side of the porch were taking over the entire area.  Green tendrils clung to the nasturtiums and twined around the basil.  They even reached out to close the gap across the doorway.  I thought perhaps one of the white-bloomed wildlings so common here had managed to join us.  By October, it had cooled off enough at night to wilt some of the leaves, so I decided to cut them down and tidy up the ragged mass of tattered leaves and vines.  For some reason, I just didn't get around to it that weekend.  I'm so glad I didn't

Imagine my surprise upon walking out to a bevy of delicate blue blooms trembling in the breeze!  Since then, my late bloomer has treated me to a beautiful new show each day.  From the scarred leaves of my aging plants, new life and beauty has appeared. 

May my life be a reflection of this......

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?