Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sack of Potatoes

I love potatoes.  I think a crispy baked potato smothered in real butter, shredded cheddar cheese, and hot wing sauce and liberally sprinkled with hot, crispy bacon pieces is a perfect meal.  My ultimate comfort food is potatoes sliced thin and fried with bacon and onions.  The heavenly aroma fills the house long before I get to dish up the crispy, brown potatoes making the wait an exquisite agony.



As much as I enjoy potatoes, WeeHavyn isn't the best place to grow them.  Our steep slopes, non-existent soil, and the unfriendly black walnut tree in the center of the yard make container growing essential for most garden crops, potatoes included.  After seeing several posts on growing potatoes in bags, I decided to create my own version.. the GunniGarden. 


So how many potatoes can you get from one plant?  I'm about to find out.  Since it was a little late when I finally got my GunniGardens finished, all the locally available potato sets were already gone.  In interests of time, I decided to purchase some small red potatoes for eating.  Now this is a risky proposition for growing as a lot of these potatoes have been treated to prevent sprouting.  Still, I planted several sets in the bottom of two different GunniGardens and one came up in each.  I've been filling the bag with soil as they shoot up to encourage the plants to make potatoes all along the 33" stem. 

I think the GunniGarden will be an ideal environment for potatoes.  The soil drains well, yet doesn't dry out and I can cover it easily when the potatoes get to the point where I don't want them watered.  The bags are inexpensive and easy to replace so I can just slit the side and let soil and potatoes fall onto a tarp where the soil can be amended for next season and the potatoes will be recovered unblemished by any ill placed shovel.

I look forward to crisp Autumn days with a plate of crisp fried potatoes, sweet caramelized onions, and savory bacon.....


1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome idea. How did it turn out? Did you get alot of potatoes?

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?