Sunday, March 23, 2014

The Power of Fear

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fears path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain." 
Frank Herbert


Wisdom can come to you from anywhere, it is simply your job to see it.  As a hopeless nerd growing up, I read extensively and science fiction was by far my favorite genre.  The "Dune" series by Frank Herbert was an amazing combination of fantasy and philosophy and the above quote stayed with me and has shaped my life.  Just like everyone else, I have fears.  Yet I have also found that the fear itself is often much, much bigger than the thing I'm afraid of and if I truly face it, there is actually nothing there to be afraid of.

There is so much fear around us.  It seems the media is always whipping up some new frenzy about something.  Global Warming, E. Coli, H1N1, Peak Oil, Toxic Plastics from China, Food Recalls, and the list goes on and on.  A person might feel as though they should just stay indoors where it's safe..... wait, don't forget about the toxic out-gassing from most household construction materials... or deadly radon!

It is so tempting to give in.  There is so much to absorb and I am just one person!!  I can't even make a dent in any of these problems.  I am powerless!  Well...yes.  But only because I have given my power away through fear.  By really looking at these problems, seeing the true risks, and doing what I can - no matter how small it seems, I take back my power.

What if we all did the same?



1 comment:

  1. Let fear empower you and understand fear versus worry (and then don't sweat the small stuff). The Gift of Fear: Gavin de Becker is worth the money for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?